Submitted by Wayne Allyn Root on Monday, October 27, 2014 at 8:43 AM
COLLEGE TOP 10; WEEK #9
by Wayne Allyn Root
One has to love how the Top teams are grouped so tightly together in the won/loss column as we approach next weeks first look from the Bowl Selection Committee. There are 15 teams that have one loss right behind the 3 undefeated's. And if you make a case for Marshall there are 4 teams without an "L". Add the results of the down the road "Egg Bowl" that will send a Mississippi team to the 1 loss column, the Committee will have a very difficult job. In reality, most teams control their own destiny but the bottom line is that expanding the NCAA Playoffs to an 8 team event will not dilute the product and eliminate teams that should not be in the mix anyway.
1) MISSISSIPPI STATE---The Bulldogs enjoyed a much needed rest from all the hoopla of beating LSU, Texas A&M and Auburn in 3 straight weeks. Now it's off to Kentucky to play what some say are an improved Wildcat team. (Maybe they were speaking of basketball). The Bulldogs opened up an 13.5 chalk and plenty are curious to see if the Bulldog momentum will continue after this past week off. State's offense, led by QB Prescott, is very impressive.
2) MISSISSIPPI---The Ole Miss Rebels played solid last week and defeated Tennessee 34-3. They have the most awesome defense in the Nation, ranked #1 and allowing just 10 points per game. (UPCOMING: Can't wait for the Egg Bowl to see which come first and I'm not talking about the chicken or the egg. I am enamored with the offense of State vs the defense of Ole Miss). This week it's off to play a very confused LSU team. Is an upset in store or will the Rebels D get the job done?
3) ALABAMA---In my opinion, this is the best "1-loss" team in the country…and maybe the best team- PERIOD. A week after Coach Sabin scolded the Crimson faithful for ranting at him for an 1 point win against Arkansas, he must have turned to some boosters and said to pay attention to the game against A&M. Bama blew the Aggie's thru Mississippi and Louisiana before the first half was over and sent them thru Texas by the end of the game beating them 59-0. At one point in the Vegas Casinos "in-line gaming" where wagers are constantly made after every play, Bama was a 53 point favorite and still covered. Now we see Alabama is back on the road at Tennessee and is laying 17 point on the early line. Will this be an Arkansas repeat or an A&M blow-out?
4) FLORIDA ST---Yes, 4th. But I do include them in NCAA Playoff- so Seminole fans be thankful for little things! This team plays nobody week in and week out. Their one tough opponent Notre Dame was "jobbed" by the referees. Fl;orida State should be out of it right now. I have to admit, Jameis Winston looked great in the 2nd half against Notre Dame. For his sake, I hope he stays "under-the-radar" the rest of the season. It's even affecting the behavior of Jimbo Fisher, so it has to be taking a toll on the rest of the team. Remember that this is a team sport no matter how much Winston is in the news. Winston is in line for many NCAA Awards and Trophies if he continues to play smart both on and off the field. Florida St gets a bye week and then the followingThursdaythey play in Louisville. With a week and a half of idle time, QB Winston needs to stay indoors and study or stay focused on the practice field. His NFL "stock" is crashing.
5) OREGON---The Ducks have rebounded well from their Oct 2nd loss to Arizona by defeating UCLA and Washington in back to back weeks. This week may be a surprise. It remains to be seen how focused they will be on Cal with the Stanford game following this week. And if that's not enough, they play at Utah after the Stanford game on the road. So where does Oregon line up their Ducks? Laying 18 points on the road may be difficult but the Oddsmakers won't give away free money with an easy pointspread so we'll have to wait and see how practices go this week and what they are willing to show as far as this week's game plan is concerned. Stay tuned and come backFriday. But…if they "win out" I predict they'll land in the Playoffs (hopefully replacing Florida State).
6) AUBURN---The Tigers are still very much into the season ending race as they have just 1 loss at the hands Mississippi State and on the road. They need to run out and also beat Bama in the Iron Bowl. They play South Carolinathis Saturdayafter having their bye week last week. It seems everyone has lost all respect for the South Carolina and Steve Spurrier program as the Tigers are favored by 17.5 points a week before having to play Ole Miss. Will they or can they "rev" it up after the bye week is the most asked question?
7) NOTRE DAME---Nobody with a clear head could have been disappointed last Saturday night with the game Notre Dame played in their first road game of the year at Florida St. I for one am furious that the officials put the results in the flagged penalty away from the ball and didn't leave on the field. It had nothing to do with the receiver being open for the TD catch. Congrats to both teams in a well played contest. The Fighting Irish get the week off and return in 2 weeks to play their nemesis; Navy.
8) GEORGIA---It seems as if they replaced Todd Gurley at running back (with Nick Chubb as Chubb rushed for 202 yards on the road at Arkansas). Not an easy thing to do as the Bulldogs won easily 45-32. Georgia is ready to represent the SEC East and has a shot to run the table to get to the title game. They have a bye week and then get to destroy Florida on Nov 1st.
9) MICHIGAN ST---Old Sparty hooked up 56 points on Indiana U last Saturday. IU fans must be screaming for the basketball season to start after that blowout. It could be another blowout this week as State host Michigan. Or not. At least throw out the stats for this year. This is a state rivalry game; especially for MSU. Anyway, the Vegas Oddsmakers have listed the Spartans a 17 point favorite. I understand that Michigan has improved the past few weeks. But look who they played- Rutgers and Penn State. The Spartans are real competition.
10) TCU---Is QB Boykin any good? He threw for 410 yards last week as they crushed Oklahoma State 42-9. That was a "statement" game for the Horned Frogs a week after blowing a huge late game lead to Baylor and losing 61-58. This was a nice bounce back game for TCU. Now they turn their attention to Texas Tech as an 3 touchdown chalk. It's a lot of points but it can be done playing at home. But the Red Raiders may have some rage of their own to reveal having played 2 decent games the past 2 weeks.
Honorable mention: Kansas State. These well mannered boys from Kansas are silent, but deadly.