Submitted by Wayne Allyn Root on Friday, October 3, 2014 at 8:57 AM
COLLEGE TOP 10 FOR WEEK 6
by WAYNE ALLYN ROOT
The games finally get better. The college "preseason" is behind us. Now the Top 25 teams begin to play each other in the all-important conference games. This week begins the homestretch with some great key match-ups. Who wouldn't want to bet the Texas A&M vs Miss St game, or Stanford vs Notre Dame? Even the Primetime Nebraska vs Michigan St game is intriguing from a pointspread point of view. Top ranked Oklahoma will be tested at TCU and a fan favorite is the Bama vs Mississippi battle. Put on your TV's and crack open a beverage and get ready to WIN WITH WAYNE!!
1) OKLAHOMA---The Sooners are gaining momentum heading into the Big 12 Conference play. They had a bye week to enjoy their huge road win over West Virginia 45-33.QB Trickett passed for 376 and looked great. The replacement for injured RB Ford was better than most thought would be. RB Perine rushed for 242 yards, so it was more reloading instead of replacing as his results were up to Sooner standards.This week they play #25 TCU. OU opened up 5 and this is one of the most important pointspread numbers to follow. Stay tuned!
2) OREGON---The Ducks have had 2 weeks to let it sink in that they almost lost a game, as they squeaked by Washington St (on the road) 38-31. Marcus Mariota needs to take charge of this team as the season only gets more difficult. They host Arizona this week and are a huge favorite. This Thursday Night game can be a national statement game as it is the featured game of ESPN. The Ducks are 4th in scoring at 48 ppg so it's time to put up and blowout the Wildcats if they are to be relevant on a national level.
3) ALABAMA---The Tide is coming off a bye week after beating Florida 42-21. Over-all they are #9 allowing points at 14 ppg and are ranked 16th in scoring at 42 ppg. This week the Tide travels to play #11 Ole Miss. It will be interesting to see how Bama QB Sims performs on the road against a good defense; ranked 3rd at 8 ppg. The way for Bama to win is by rushing RB Henry. Ole Miss is ranked #75 and Bama rushes for 258 ypg. The Crimson opened up at
4) FLORIDA ST---The Seminoles had to use a 2nd half rally to pull away and win 56-41 against a below average NC State team. They may be winning but it's hard to believe that this team is still #1 in many polls. An upset is in their future unless things change from the lockerroom to the field. The cupcake schedule continues. Again, they play a nobody as they host Wake Forest; a 39 point underdog.
5) AUBURN---Who knew that this may be the best team in the state of Alabama. They are 4-0 and off a blowout of Louisiana Tech 45-17. Their only weakness may be the passing of QB Marshall or maybe the conservative play calling of their OC. They are the typical SEC team as they love to rush the ball and play a stout defense. This week they entertain LSU as an 8 point favorite. The question answered this weekend is can they score enough points?
6) TEXAS A&M---This team can score! They are ranked #2 at 51 points per game. They had a nail biter last week as they were fortunate enough to win in overtime against Arkansas 35-28. This week they play Mississippi St; 2 weeks removed from their biggest upset in a long time as they defeated LSU on the road. Miss State as lucky to enjoy an off week, so the emotions are disseminated from that game and have had time to focus on this Aggie team. A&M's defense is also top-notch allowing just 15 ppg. The Bulldogs opened up as a tiny 1.5 chalk.
7) BAYLOR---In what many thought would be a closer game, Baylor crushed Iowa Sate 49-28 on the road last week. What an incredible outcome considering they play Texas this week. There was no "look ahead" on the field. This team is ranked 1st in scoring and 8th in defense. Defensively you don't know to play the run (#24) or the pass (#4) so that's the formula for their 57 point per game average. This week it's time to shine and take care of business in Austin as a -16 point road favorite.
8) UCLA---The Bru-Crew crushed Arizona St 62-27 last week in a much needed blowout. UCLA (4-0, 1-0 Pac-12) won its first three games by a combined 18 points against non-ranked opponents, raising questions about just how good the Bruins are this season. QB Brett Hundley threw for 355 yards and 4 TD's on 18 of 23 passing. The downside for the Bruins was the defense. Arizona State ran a staggering 105 plays and gained 626 yards against the young Bruins' defense. The Bruins play Utah this week at home and are a double digit favorite.
9) NOTRE DAME---The Fighting Irish were impressive blowing out Syracuse last week to a tune of 31-15. Once again it was their #4 ranked defense that held their team together. They don't score a ton of points and are lower than average at running the ball at 158 ypg and ranked 77th. It's just solid football and "D". This week they may have to score a few more points as they play #14 Stanford. The oddsmakers have this game around even so once again, Wayne Root will be following the money and seeing where it leads.
10) MICHIGAN ST---The Spartans have scored 129 points in their last 2 games since losing to Oregon. That's how to impress the pollsters and rebuild their resume. This week we find Sparty playing at home with #19 Nebraska. The Cornhuskers come in at 5-0 so expect some fireworks as Michigan St gets another test. They opened up at - 8.5 and is a National TV game for ABC.