Submitted by Wayne Allyn Root on Monday, September 15, 2014 at 1:05 PM
WEEK 4 COLLEGE FOOTBALL TOP 10
by WAYNE ALLYN ROOT
Looking ahead to this Saturday, there will be no rest for the Top 10 as some finally begin to play in conference. Note that the SEC has five (5) teams ranked in the Top 10, while the Pac 12 has just one (1) team- with Oregon. It's always great to see Notre Dame relevant and Florida St not as great as the polls show. Their stats against some easy opponents would have me worried if I was Jimbo Fisher.
1) OKLAHOMA---The Sooners had no problems knocking off Tennessee last Saturday while covering the 21 pt. spread. They lose their top running back as Ford will be out for 2 to 3 weeks. He averaged 6 ypc and had 5 TD's. Perine will replace him at running back when they take on West Virginia this week. They rely on a great defense to hang on to their #1 ranking by allowing just 11 points per contest.
2) OREGON---The Ducks crushed Wyoming 48-14. This game should have been by a wider margin, but we'll give Oregon some slack as the game followed the Michigan St win from the previous week. Their 52 points per game keeps them in the Top 5 in scoring and they look to increase it this week against Washington St.
3) ALABAMA---The Crimson allowed just 4 field goals last week against Southern Miss in a 52-12 rout. What's somewhat of a concern to Coach Sabin is thru his cupcake preseason (prior to conference play), Bama is only 33rd in rushing for 298 ypg. They meet Florida in their 4th home game in a row to begin the season this week so we'll see if he or offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin has made some obviously necessary adjustments.
4) FLORIDA ST.---The Seminoles play on the road this week at #22 Clemson in a much anticipated match-up for the home team. Florida St has not exactly looked like a Top 1 after three games. They are ranked 49th in "D" allowing 21 ppg. Even more worrisome should be their rushing yardage ranked 73rd with just 158 ypc. This road contest will present the 'Noles with a crucial test.
5) TEXAS A&M---The Aggies beat up on winless Rice last week knocking them off in a 38-10 one-sided game. And that score is a far cry off from their 4th ranked 54 ppg average. QB Kenny Hill has applied for a "Kenny Thrill" trademarked name. He may have earned it thru 3 games by completing 81% of his passes for 1094 yards and 11 TD's. He'll certainly add to his totals against SMU this Saturday. But…will all this adulation and hype go to his head?
6) AUBURN---The Tigers were idle last week for added rest from week # 2's battle with San Jose State. Who makes these schedules? This week they travel to take on Kansas State. There's only 377 tickets left to sell so the Wildcats' fans will be out in force (decked out in purple). K-St. is ranked #20 and may have the goods if Auburn doesn't improve on their 91st ranked passing game. QB Johnson has completed 75% of his passes, but all were short throws and he's only had 2 TD's so far along with 277 total yards.
7) BAYLOR---aka Bear Meat. But Bear Meat must changed to Buffalo meat last week as the Baylor Bears mauled Buffalo on the road 63-21. This team has racked up some great stats as they have a #1 ranking in points scored and a #3 ranking in points allowed. But hold all bets!! They travel to play Iowa St, fresh off an outright win over rival Iowa as a 13 point underdog. The question is; letdown or confidence for Iowa State? Either way, this will be a nice test for the Bears.
8) LSU---The Tigers got out the white paint and their paintbrushes and whitewashed "powerhouse" UL Monroe as they ran up the score and put a 31-0 spanking on them. Although that word may have to be banned from football lingo after the terrible deed committed by Viking superstar running back Adrian Peterson. This week is another home game as LSU hosts Mississippi St. They better hope they don't have to play catch-up with their cupcake low average of 91st in passing yardage against the Bulldogs this week.
9) NOTRE DAME---It's always great when the Lakers make a run in the NBA Finals,or the NY Yankees are making an October World Series Championship run. The Fighting Irish are in the Top 10 and undefeated. The World of Sports makes the real world feel like it's spinning on it's axis correctly and all is normal. They get to rest this week and prepare for both Syracuse and Stanford. They followed up the 31-0 beating they put on Michigan with a 30-14 win against in-state Purdue rival. Go Irish!
10) MISSISSIPPI---Ole Miss is 3-0 after demolishing LA-Lafayette 56-15 last Saturday. They are off this week and prepare for big bad Memphis in two weeks. They need to get a rushing game as their 78th ranking will not cut it in the SEC. They play hard and are heading in the right direction, so beware the rest of the SEC.