Submitted by Wayne Allyn Root on Wednesday, September 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM
COLLEGE FOOTBALL TOP 10...WEEK 2
by Wayne Allyn Root
1) OKLAHOMA: The Sooners, like most teams this early in the season, were never tested by Louisiana Tech. Leading 31-3 at halftime, it was the second team during the second half. They are 24 point favorite on the road at in-state Tulsa; one week before their match-up with Tennessee. Let's begin to follow Trevor Knight at QB and see if he is worthy of a Heisman look.
2) ALABAMA: It was very interesting watching Nick Sabin watching Lane Kiffin call the offense for the Crimson Tide. Sabin better start watching his defense. West Virginia seemed comfortable running their own offense in that 33-23 contest. Bama's secondary may need some extra game film as the Mountaineers QB attacked the Tide with success. Sigh of relief for Bama's staff as they are -41 at home against Florida (Atlantic) haha.
3) OREGON: The Ducks put up 62 against SoDak St...in under 21 minutes of possession. Now finally a game all can watch this week. Oregon is hosting Michigan State. How do the Spartans counter this quick strike offense. The only way may be keeping the Ducks off the field. And as quick as Oregon scores, that may happen anyway.
4) FLORIDA ST: Florida St better stop reading last years headlines after barely squeaking by Oklahoma State 37-31. Early season games like this are expected from the 18 to 21 year old crowd but they better not count on breaks in upcoming games. One look ahead could wipe out an $18 MILL payday. Citadel is the team making the paycheck this week while Jimbo has his team running extra laps.
5) AUBURN: With Nick Marshall serving a first half suspension, the Tigers played Arkansas to a 21-21 tie at halftime. Then he was let loose and the Tigers put up a sweet 24 unanswered points to win and cover. If Marshall is not enough, how about the 177 yard performance of Cameron Artis-Payne? Maybe they won't need the luck they held all of last season with talent like this.
6) MICHIGAN ST: What a week this will make for the Spartans. Last week they put up 38 points by halftime against Jacksonville St. This week they'll be lucky to hold Oregon to 38 points by halftime. They do have a solid defense which will be tested in every aspect this week. They have some offense to fall back upon with QB Connor Cook and RB Jeremy Langford. Oregon is favored by 13 points.
7) TEXAS A&M: Have you heard about Kenny Football yet? You should have after last weeks game against South Carolina. They beat the Gamecocks 52-28. Their schedule is crazy. Who would open on the road at South Carolina and then play Lamar? The Bears are in the SEC West and need to work entirely on defense this week as they prepare for a rigorous SEC schedule.
8) OHIO STATE: The Buckeyes will always be in the safe hands of Urban Meyer. Quarterback or not. JT Barrett scared a few but in the end, his troops found a way to sink Navy 34-17 and get the cover along with the win. This week the Buckeyes play Virginia Tech; and they are no Navy. They have a defense capable of ruining OSU's Saturday. Ezekiel Elliott and Curtis Samuel are there to take the load away from Barrett while he adjust to his new role.
9) STANFORD: UC Davis snuck into Stanford, scored no points, allowed 45 and took home their paycheck. Not sure that was what Stanford needed as they are in the toughest conference this year with some questions of their own. The Cardinal has a new defensive coordinator to replace many stars from last years 11-win team. One question will be answered this Saturday; can they hang with USC? They host the Trojans as a 3 point chalk.
10) GEORGIA: The Bulldog's RB Todd Gurley is a stud. Against Clemson, he set a programs record for all-purpose yards with 293. He scored four touchdowns and showed the Nation his blinding speed. The Dawg's "D" was equally impressive especially in the second half as they surrendered just 15 yards. Who needs QB Hutson Mason for anything but handing the ball off? They meet South Carolina Gamecocks in 2 week.