WAYNE ALLYN ROOT'S NFL TOP 10 FOR WEEK 10
1) PITTSBURGH---Even when it looked like the Cincinnati Bengals would make a comeback, the Steelers laughed and said, "try again in five weeks." The Steelers are 3-1 with QB Ben Roethlisberger. Now it's off to the AFC Championship game this week as they host the New England Patriots. New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is 5-1 in his career against the Pittsburgh Steelers.
2) NEW YORK GIANTS---The Giants seem downright dominating, and they're improving week to week. Especially if you're playing Seattle. The New York Giants are the best team in the NFC, and my thoughts were confirmed when they absolutely destroyed the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday. Thank goodness the schedule is benefiting them this week as they have numerous injuries. They host a Jerry Jones "it's all about winning" Dallas Cowboys team.
3) ATLANTA---The Falcons are 18-1 at home with Matt Ryan at QB. They need to bottle that up and take it one the road from here on out. They defeated Baltimore to begin week 11 with a fantastic length of the field TD in under 1 minute of play. The Falcons are at the top of what looks like the strongest division in the NFC. They continue to hold most opponents to under 300 yards in total offense....(their key to success).
4) BALTIMORE---Until they went to Atlanta, things were so-so for the team most think are headed to a February football game. The Ravens had a great win over the very talented Miami Dolphins on Sunday, and are tied for first in the toughest division in the NFL. BUT...the loss to the Falcons were the 7th blown 4th quarter lead in the past 2 seasons. Ray...it's your defense. How do the Falcons go 80 yards in 1 minute?
5) NY J=E=T=S---The Jets got shut out at home by the Green Bay Packers, and they just barely got past the Detroit Lions on Sunday. The preseason hype seems to be wearing off for the Jets right about now. What happened to their great defense? Their great pass rush? Getting to the QB is becoming a problem for the Jets' defense. This week they won't have to worry about a pass rush against Cleveland. Their worrys this week are spelled HILLIS. Well maybe they better have a pass rush...Rookie QB Colt McCoy owns wins over Drew Brees and Tom Brady.
6) NEW ENGLAND---The Pats suffered a really tough loss at the hands of the Cleveland Browns. They may have been the best team in the league until this past weekend, but now they're not looking so hot. New England will have to get it together if they want a shot at defeating the Pittsburgh Steelers. They've always been a thorn in the side of the Steelers....BUT...It's hard to believe a Bill Belichick team is ranked 32nd in third-down defense. They better find a defensive leader or it will be a long night on NBC-TV this Sunday.
7) NEW ORLEANS---After a disappointing loss to the Cleveland Browns, the Saints have been trying to get a winning streak going.They defeated the dominant Pittsburgh Steelers, and they killed the Carolina Panthers. Now it's off to savor those 2 wins with a bye week. Not sure if that benefits this team. They may have wanted to keep the momentum going....on the field NOT on Bourbon St.
8) INDIANAPOLIS---The Colts have been a confusing team all season. Just when some think they have some momentum started, they take a dive. Week 8's victory over the Houston Texans showcased the Peyton Manning that fans are used to seeing, but then the Colts turn around and lose to the Philadelphia Eagles. Injuries play a factor to the media but do you really think injuries are even in Peyton Mannings head? Did you see him in the press conference after the Eagles loss? Could it be the limited Bengals are just the right sort of team to pop up on the Colts' schedule now for the most intense QB in the league? We'll see this Sunday.
9) GREEN BAY---The defense has allowed only seven points in the past two games. Is the Pack Back? Sure the Packers defeated the Dallas Cowboys, but who hasn't this season? Still, the Pack is on a winning streak after Sunday's victory, and they'll take a bye to prepare for the struggling Minnesota Vikings. Their best preparation is to let the injuries HEAL!
10) PHILADELPHIA---Michael Vick is back in action, and the Eagles are looking like one of the best teams in the NFC.The Eagles will look to gain some more momentum (and some revenge for an early season loss) as they travel to D.C. to take on the Redskins. Michael Vick is willing to take as many hits as necessary if it means winning. The Eagles off-season QB trade makes Coach Reid look like a genius. And did Donovan McNabb need all of this Mike Shanahan controversy before a game against the Eagles? Wayne Root says this will be a Monday Night Game worth watching....and of course BETTING!
TEAMS THAT BETTER START OR CONTINUE WINNING OR...... "WE'LL SEE YA NEXT YEAR"!!
1) OAKLAND---They have won three games in a row (two by complete blowout), and they will have a week off to rest up for the Pittsburgh Steelers.
2) TENNESSEE--- Randy Moss's arrival can NOT be a good sign for this team?
3) KANSAS CITY---The Chiefs came out of the gate with guns blazing, but they seem to have lost some of their early-season momentum.
4) TAMPA BAY---(It worked for a while)...The best-team-in-the-NFC mantra can wait for now, but the Bucs definitely have made progress.
5) SANDIEGO---Are the Chargers transitioning from typically poor early season to typically strong late season?
6) HOUSTON---The Texans have lost two in a row, and while that is not a losing streak (yet), Houston needs to contemplate all meanings of the word "defense" in order to save their season.